Posts for tag: Root Canal Therapy
Have you recently experienced dental pain or noticed changes in a tooth? If so, you may need a root canal. Fortunately, your Pueblo, CO, dentist, Dr. Elmer Villalon, can help! Read on to learn more.
What is the purpose of a root canal?
Root canals protect and preserve teeth with inflamed or infected pulp. Without this treatment, you would eventually lose your tooth. During root canal therapy, your Pueblo dentist opens the tooth, removes the pulp, cleans the tooth and canals, and, finally, replaces the pulp with gutta percha, a durable, rubber-based filling material.
How can I tell if I need a root canal?
You may benefit from a root canal if:
- You injured your tooth: A root canal may be necessary after trauma to a tooth, or if your knocked-out tooth was reimplanted.
- Your tooth hurts: Toothaches aren't just caused by cavities—they can also occur if the soft pulp in the center of your tooth is inflamed or infected. Additionally, pain isn't always severe at first, and it may even come and go for a while. No matter what the level of your pain, it's important to schedule a visit with your dentist if you experience a toothache.
- Your tooth is darker than normal: Changes deep inside your tooth can cause it to darken in some cases.
- Eating is a painful experience: An inflammation or infection can cause your tooth to become very sensitive to hot and cold foods and drinks. Pain can continue for up to a half-hour after you eat or drink.
- Your gums are sensitive: Your gums may become red and swollen if you need a root canal. You may also notice a bump that looks like a pimple on the gum close to the affected tooth.
Concerned? Give us a call
Root canal therapy can help you avoid tooth loss. Call your Pueblo, CO, dentist, Dr. Elmer Villalon, at (719) 542-7844 to schedule an appointment.