Posts for: May, 2017
How your dentist in Pueblo can help with neuropathic facial pain
If you suffer from nerve and facial pain, it can dramatically reduce your quality of life. Your pain may come and go, making you afraid to go out and enjoy your life. You may suffer from chronic pain that never resolves, causing you to constantly experience symptoms. Fortunately, there are effective treatments for neuropathic facial pain. Dr. Elmer Villalon in Pueblo, CO, wants to share the facts about causes and treatment of debilitating facial pain.
Neuropathic facial pain can be caused by a number of conditions including:
- An injury or accident to your mouth or face causing nerve damage; surgical procedures or infection can also cause neuropathic facial pain
- Trigeminal neuralgia caused by pressure from blood vessels on the trigeminal nerve; this pressure causes damage to the nerve’s outer layer resulting in painful signals sent to your brain
- Tumors or growths which press against a nerve causing damage to the outer layer of the nerve
- Multiple sclerosis which affects the central nervous system resulting in damage to nerves and the spinal cord
Dr. Villalon offers many effective treatments to ease neuropathic facial pain. Among the many available treatments, common remedies include:
- Medications; anti-seizure medications to reduce firing of overactive nerves, and tricyclic antidepressants to manage pain
- Anesthetic and steroid injections to reduce pain
- Physical therapy to improve movement and function
- Surgical procedures; nerve repair, balloon compression to block pain signals and microvascular decompression to provide a cushion between the nerve and blood vessel compressing the nerve
For more information about neuropathic pain causes, diagnosis and treatment, please visit the neuropathic pain page on the website at http://www.evillalondmd.com/what-is-neuropathic-pain.html
If you suffer from neuropathic facial pain, don’t live your life in fear of having a painful episode. Get some help from an expert and call Dr. Villalon in Pueblo, CO. Call today and get some relief!